A Customer’s Journey to OCI – Avail Infrastructure Solutions Adopts Oracle Cloud Infrastructure for Enterprise Workloads
Adopting Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) can provide many benefits for your business – greater operational efficiency, enhanced security, cost optimization, improved scalability, as well as high availability. In this blog we summarize why Avail Infrastructure Solutions adopted OCI and share the outcome highlights as a result of the move.
Avail Infrastructure Solutions is a global provider of application-critical equipment, highly engineered technologies, and specialized services to the power generation, transmission, distribution, oil and gas, and industrial markets.
Avail Infrastructure was created by the divestiture of the AZZ Infrastructure Solutions Segment to a joint venture partnership (AZZ Inc – A leading provider of galvanizing and a variety of metal coating solutions and coil coating solutions to a broad range of end-markets in North America).
To meet the needs of divestiture business plans, the new entity’s Enterprise applications had to be migrated and carved out from AZZ’s Enterprise Applications and go live in 8 weeks. A tool-based approach was chosen to achieve a challenging timeline of migration (RackWare) and carve-out (eprentise) from the parent company data center to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI).
- Migrate as-is Oracle E-Business Suite ERP, Oracle Apex, and SplashBI environments from parent company corporate data center to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Multiple migration iterations (production, disaster recovery, and various development and testing)
- Implement load balancing, disaster recovery and internet-facing application servers in DMZ
- Implement monitoring, management, and alerting tools (Oracle Enterprise Manager, Zabbix)
- Implement real-time diagnostics, service level management, cost management, compliance tool (Apps Associates SmartDog tool)
- Carve out of the Oracle E-Business Suite environment as per the new business entity
- Ongoing infrastructure, servers, DBA support, and maintenance
- Divestiture requirement, challenging timeline, strict environment security considerations, business continuity, improved future statement architecture, optimized management, monitoring, and support.
- Ultrafast, simple, non-disruptive replication of the on-premise servers to the OCI cloud platform using Rackware’s cloud migration tool
This blog was a collaboration between Sudhakar Marampally, DBA Architect, Apps Associates, and Vijay Singh, Senior Technical Architect, Apps Associates.
Read the full case study here.